Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

OH, I LIKE this thing! I have been wanting to try out LibraryThing for a long time, since I first heard about it a year or so ago. Of course, right now, being in the midst of a move very soon, most of my books are packed away, so as I get started, I just entered a few titles that occurred to me off the top of my head. My husband and I actually have a nice library of things we both like to read, both fiction and non-fiction. Funny that most of his books are non-fiction and mine are fiction (a lot is juvenile fiction because that's what I aspire to write myself).

Anyway, here is the chiclet that leads to my catalog. Perhaps in a few months, when we settle into a new house and restock our bookshelves from all of our packing tubs, I can enhance this a lot!



Although I think the library I currently work at is too large to use LibraryThing in a practical manner, what I'd like to see them do is put our professional collection here. Then it would be easy just to browse that specific collection and maybe more of our staff (and other library staff) would make more effective use of the collection. I'll have to see how a suggestion like that would go over--but the data entry time required might make it a no-go (I have no idea how many titles we have in this "special" collection of ours).

No comments: