Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing 12: Social Media Sites

Wow! I could get addicted to a couple of these sites pretty quickly. I've been going back to Mixx for a few days now before I even looked at the others. I didn't much care for Newsvine's layout. I thought the others were more straightforward. I guess I just liked the text links better than the images and little boxes all over Newsvine.

For keeping up with news, these could be interesting possibilities. And it covers so much more than just politics and such. I could see them as being big time-sinks, too.

It would be cool if a library could do this kind of site for their patrons and others who might wander into the mix, but to make it more of a local/community kind of thing. I think the teen crowd would use it a lot, but maybe they would just prefer the wider focus of the bigger sites. There are so many more people there to vote on the popular links. I guess I'm not really feeling the love in our library aside from maybe providing links to the most popular social media sites on our Internet Resources page and seeing how many people that attracts. For personal use, I guess I would have to experiment more with the other three I liked and then choose one. Going to more than one gives more exposure to things, but I just don't have the time!

2 comments:

Mollie Pherson said...

Woo Hoo! Glad to see you have joined Round 2 of 23 Things on a Stick! Have fun along the way and remember there will be prizes to all who complete the program by September 15th. Enjoy!

Mollie from SELCO

Unknown said...

Congratulations for joining Round 2 of 23 Things on a Stick! Good luck, learn lots, have fun. And yes, watch out for the many addicting parts of this program! :-)