Friday, April 18, 2008

Thing 11: Tagging and Del.icio.us

The good news is that we are doing another session of 23 Things on a Stick. I didn't mind not finishing the first time around, but now I can begin again with a bit of a head start. I always wanted to finish all 23 Things anyway. And besides, I like actually spending the time trying these services out more. Still, 23 Things is about introducing us to them, and so it has served and will continue to serve its purpose well.

Del.icio.us is something I had heard about but never used. I guess I didn't see where it would be especially useful to me, but the ability to find links easily by a keyword is really quite nice. I have not done much with it yet, but searched on some recipe links, put a couple of icons on my toolbar, and added a link. When I got around to checking if the link was actually on other people's list, I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was! I was also able to find one other person's comments about the site I added. So that was kind of cool! I added comments about another link I added, and found out that, although others had that link listed, no one else had commented, so that felt kind of good too!

I would very much like to add my other bookmarks to my del,icio.us account, but didn't have a lot of time to work with it as of this posting. Hopefully over time I can do this. I have experienced the loss of a bookmark list in my browser perhaps 2 or 3 times in my life and found it extremely upsetting until I could recreate the bookmarks. But it was time consuming to find sites again and I am sure, even to this day, I have never recovered all the sites I had listed at one time or another. Having this kind of backup is a great idea, plus it can put you in touch with similar links that others already use and you haven't discovered yet. I think it could be an interesting way to search out links of interest.

I also think this could be somewhat useful for research, but one does have to be careful about the authenticity of the information used for such pursuits. And where some schools outlaw using Wikipedia for class research, I can see where one has to really be on one's guard using links shared here as well. Still, it might make it easier to find items on a topic you want to research in this manner. It could save a lot of searching and you can read a link and then decide if it fits your needs before adding it to your own link collection. I like the overall idea behind it and may even use it as part of my reference work at the library! In fact, one of my co-workers asked me the other day if I had sites for beginners learning to make web pages, and I had one to give him that I use, but it was more geared to learn to use html and not for using a web design program that keeps the code in the background for non-techies. In this kind of case, if I had already been using del.icio.us, I should have taken him to that web site and used it to research good sites that others have found before us!

I do think this will be very helpful for some of my personal searches for information as well, so I look forward to learning more about it and really getting into using it. I'm sure I will find more value and ideas about HOW to use it as I go forward.

No comments: