Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

While I love Wikipedia for quick information, I can see why some schools ban the use of it for research. I have seen organizations that posted pages, edited their colleagues' posts and information, and got downright misleading to the point where they were banned from posting on Wikipedia at all! Not all the information is scholarly in nature there, and while it's a good start, especially for an introduction to a topic, what I really like is when sources are listed at the end of an article that can lead you to more scholarly research on your own.

In terms of getting people to participate in the sharing of information and knowledge, I think the wiki concept is a great one. But even people that I know have been in technology for a long time and use wikis (myself included) have often never edited anything on one. My experience just adding a quick comment to the 23 Things on a Stick wiki was just such an event for me. However, considering it wasn't unlike editing a blog post and saving or changing a Word document and saving the changes, I think this exercise was a great introduction.

I would love to see a wiki just to post policies and procedures for our library staff. We are undergoing so many changes, and have been doing so for the last year (and more coming into summer and early fall), that it might be an interesting way to keep everyone informed and updated (and involved, too)! And that involvement is what all the Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 hubbub is all about!

No comments: